The General Education Committee (GEC)reviews all applications for General Education and Writing Requirement courses.
Specific Notes About the Approval Process:
- The General Education Committee only considers applications that have been approved by the college. As of October 2018, the GEC has moved the deadline for submissions to the Wednesday after the previous GEC meeting. This adjustment was made to allow for more time for review of submissions and more time for submitters to respond to any GEC review subcommittee comments prior to the monthly meeting. GEC meetings are held on the 1st Friday of each month in the Fall and Spring semesters, submissions must be completed and entered into the Academic Approval Tracking System prior to the following Wednesday in order to appear on the next month's agenda.
- Course approvals are valid for all future semesters up to the semester when the course is scheduled for recertification, unless the course is a rotating topics course; rotating topics courses may only be considered for a one-time approval for a specific semester in the future.
- Approval for Writing Requirement (E2, E4, E6) is awarded to the course.
- New courses may be reviewed by the General Education Committee prior to receiving a permanent course number if documentation of approval from the University Curriculum Committee is submitted with the application.
- The syllabus must be in English (including foreign language courses).
To begin developing a GE and/or WR course, refer to the appropriate guidelines and requirements for the and , as well as the and .
To submit the request for approval of the GE and/or WR designation, go to the "Course" tab on the Academic Approval Tracking site and follow the instructions at that site. The academic approval tracking system will automatically route the request (including all accompanying forms and documents) to the following groups for approval and/or notification:
Following approval at each of these steps, the change will be entered into the undergraduate catalog, effective in the term approved for the request.